Monday, December 13, 2010

A time for relaxing.

So..Its X-mas break and I have a month of relaxing and visiting with family.  I have to say its been nice not having to deal with the school life for a change.  Its weird...now that I'm off for a month I still feel like I should be worried about something. 
But since I am off, it will afford me some time to kick around and experiment with some art outside the class room without an instructor peaking over my shoulder. 
This entry is about an inspiration and tribute to an artist. Zdzislaw Beksinski.  A polish painter, who was never traditionally trained had some success and was tragically murdered in 2005.



































His art was dark but all pure inspiration from his dreams.  He said that many people found his art dark and negative, but he saw it as positive and sometimes even humorous.  He had a style like no other and had mastered or rather understood the effects of light.  He worked with photograpy, photoshop, and oil paint on hard panel.  Truly inspiring to me that he had no training and he quit his successful job as a contractor and made his own path into the art world.  The thing that catches me off guard is that he never named any of his works.  He was uninterested in the meaning.  He said he just wanted to photograph his dreams...that was all, it didn't need a meaning.  Here is another.




























After examining much of his work and reading more into his style that though images can be dark, some can be scary...they are not always negative.  Some are just things we hide deep within our subconscious mind, and can effect how are in waking life.
I experimented with these techniques today and made a sketch...just playing around with some ideas more as a tribute to this amazing artist


My mom peeked while I was sketching, and she goes "Oh, that's evil."  I thought for a second, its funny that skulls and bones and brains and everything else has been deemed evil over the years.  When in fact,  All of this gooey, dark, evil stuff is what makes us up as human beings.  Maybe that's what Beksinski was getting at.

No comments:

Post a Comment